October 13, 2009

Story Continued...

Read the last post before reading this one!


"Did I just waste a whole 4 months of my life...spending half the time at the beach and the other half learning which pick-up lines worked and which ones did not?" I kept asking myself this question over and over again as I reflected on my life. I knew I had to be more effective with my time if I was going to be successful my own way. I was 22 years old and the only thing I owned at the time was a couple hundred dollars in my savings account and maybe the front bumper of my car.

My hope was to make enough money that I could put a good chunk of it towards a business venture or investment. This is what I was banking on for when I got back from the California adventure. I checked my bank account and quickly realized that my entrepreneur dreams would remain how they are... in my dreams!


Although very disappointed and discouraged, something inside of me told me that I had a lot more learning to do. Right about that time, a friend told me to read a book titled "Rich Dad Poor Dad." When I first read the cover, I was a little skeptical! I mean I was not the type to judge anyone if they were rich or poor, and I wasn't about to be made-fun of for only having a couple hundred dollars to my name! I was so frustrated at how hard it is to make a buck in this world, and to hear from an author that makes millions by describing what kind of person you are by how much money you make... ridiculously annoying! After I had my mental meltdown, he explained to me that this book had changed his whole perception on life and money, and how they mesh together.

I began reading the book. To my utter surprise, as I read the introduction of the author Robert Kiyosaki, I became a fan very quickly! This guy had such a strong personality that I was hooked from the opening paragraph. He talked about how we should be able to enjoy our lives. He talked about vacations. He talked about spending time with friends and family as a huge priority. He talked about the difference between spending money, saving money, and investing it. He talked about principles that can make anyone financially free! The more I read his fascinating work, the more courage and ambition I felt within myself, and the more desire I had to share this with anyone and everyone I knew! I thought about the great impact this could have on someone's life if they had learned it at a younger age.

After I finished the book, I knew I was on the right track! All that experience of talking to and interacting with people in California was all for my good. It was time to refocus and analyze my life. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment