September 22, 2009

Read last post before you read this one...


So there I was with all this energy and ambition, and I didn't know quite what to do with it. At the time I was working at a surveying company, spending most of my days out in the oil patch and up in the mountains, riding around on a four wheeler, digging holes, and hitting sticks into the ground. Although swinging a hammer didn't require much use of my brain, my head was spinning with ideas. I knew I had always wanted to be an inventor or a business owner, I just had never thought about what it takes to be one. I was always thinking of new products and new inventions that I could introduce to the market, but I didn't know the first thing about patenting my product, marketing and advertising my product, and for that matter even MAKING my product.

I decided to go get some experience in the selling department, as I was invited by a close friend to do summer sells in California. When I got down there, we were so excited to make the big bucks that we started knocking on doors before we even unpacked our bags. I quickly learned why successful salesman make so much money... because very few can actually do this job successfully. Despite all the "NO's" I got while on my mission, I still hated the word "no" and I believe that word has put more fear into people's souls than any other word... including "hell." After a couple months I decided that I liked playing football and boogy boarding on the cool Huntington Beach, rather than walking up and down the road in the blazing-California heat fruitlessly knocking on doors. By the end of the summer I found out the reason why I was supposed to come to California. My close friend found his wife there!

I admit I had a bad attitude about the whole thing, but later on I realized that this was an important part in my life! I will continue with the story next time. Meanwhile check out the activities we have planned for Halloween weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I like this ongoing story, I have to keep checking back to see if you have added the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete